2 October 2013

Physique Sedition

The first band proper I was in was called Physique Sedition. We commenced operations sometime in 1990, when we all started 9th grade in school. The members were myself on vocals (because I couldn't really play anything, neither could I sing, but I dared to do it anyway), Lars-Erik Pettersson and Martin Andersson, both on programming, synths and drum machines. I also did the occasional programming chore, but I seem to remember that my efforts were not always heralded with accolades from my band mates ... The band's activities lasted probably about until 1992, after which we rarely worked as a three piece again. Me and Lars-Erik did a couple of further tracks during the 90's until we continued working as Radical Tea Party along with Sebastian Fannon in the early 00's.

I'm in the middle of the process of transferring most of the surviving tapes from the early Physique Sedition era to digital in order to make them (or at least a selection) available on bandcamp. Most of these recordings are very primitive, recorded in mono on one of two stereo channels on a standard tape deck. Most also recorded to normal grade ferric tape, so some are starting to show their age. One exception to this was the latest real recording we did were all three of us were present. Towards the end of 1992 we managed to borrow a 4-track Tascam porta studio from a friend of mine's brother's friend ... and recorded four tracks (no pun intended) made a cover for it and then never really released it. This tape is available to download or stream at the Physique Sedition bandcamp site. Soundwise it's probably the most advanced we ever achieved. The instruments that are most prominently featured on the tape is probably the Yamaha TX16W sampler and the RY-30 drum machine.

Right now I'm putting together some kind of collection of earlier recordings. These have a much more primitive and minimal sound and will be available soon.

No comments: